Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Why the sapphire?

      As many of you have noticed, I do not have the traditional diamond engagement ring (much to my fiance's displeasure). He likes the sparkle, I like the depth. There are a ton of reasons why I decided to nudge Joe in the direction of the sapphire, the first being tradition. Now, you're saying, "Wait, didn't she just say she didn't get the 'traditional' diamond engagement ring?' Well, yes, but I wanted to create a new tradition in my family. My mother's engagement ring had two sapphires surrounding a diamond. I fell in love with my mother's ring from a young age. It always fascinated me how they fit together (she too has an enhancer) and how it is so different from any other ring I had ever seen. Her's almost looks like a butterfly.
      The second reason is the meaning behind the stone. Not only is it significant that Joe and I met in September and the birthstone for September is sapphire, but the additional meanings behind sapphire really meant a lot to me. After doing some research, I found that sapphires have been "long associated with peace and happiness, and believed to help with communication, insight, intuition, inspiration, and prayer. The ancients believe that sapphires would help them in predicting the future" (http://www.gemselect.com/other-info/gemstone-meanings.php). I really love the aspects of peace, happiness, and improved communication. We know that many couples, no matter how close, can experience trouble with communication and I thought the sapphire would be an appropriate symbol of our dedication to attempt to put ourselves in each others' shoes and communicate our problems to the best of our abilities.
      My only complaint is that my sapphire does not like being photographed! It's camera shy.

No comments:

Post a Comment